Reviews of Award Winning Science Fiction -- Hugos and Nebulas

Still working to try to get things to display the way I want them to, but I am going to keep that as a background tasks, and get on with the discussions!

I decided to start with the award-winning science fiction novels, figuring that this would be a good way to read and review some really good books.  The Hugo Awards, administered by the World Science Fiction Convention or "Worldcon", have been awarded each year since 1953 (except 1954), and occasionally two Hugos have been awarded in the same year (1966 and 1993). The Nebula Awards, presented by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc., have been given annually since 1966. So, counting up to 2018, that means 67 Hugo winners and 53 Nebula winners, for a total of 120! Of course, sometimes the same book wins both awards; this has happened 23 times to date, so there are only 97 novels which have won at least one of these awards. I planned to read and review 50 over the course of 2019, which turns out to be just about half of the backlog.

Naturally, being an avid reader of science fiction, I have already read several of the award-winning titles, sometimes over and over again. I should be able to review a few of my favorites without re-reading the book again. This will help me catch up, as I am already half a dozen books late, if I want to keep up a pace of one a week!

For now, I have a couple of books on my Kindle, several on my bookshelves, and a few I have picked up in the used bookstores. Because of the vagaries of acquisition, I do not expect to be able to keep to a strict chronological order, but will post reviews as I complete them.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts